Trade Permits Required

It is the responsibility of the owner or agent granted a Land Use Permit to ensure that each contractor, prior to commencing work on his permitted activity, applies for and is issued a Trade Permit. Failure of a Permittee’s contractors to obtain the applicable Trade Permits prior to commencing work may result in Enforcement Action against the Permittee by the MPTN Land Use Commission.


A pre-populated form will be provided to the Applicant when the Land Use Commission approves the Project’s Permit


  • New structures
  • Additions - building expansion in any direction adding square footage to the exterior of the building or by adding a story.
  • Alterations - remodeling and/or demolition of existing space(s)


  • Water and sewer work outside the building, including septic systems
  • Storm water conveyance
  • Retaining walls greater than three (3) feet in height
  • Roadways and bridges

Plumbing Permit

  • Plumbing system work inside the building or within the property line for potable water supply and distribution piping
  • All fixtures and traps, all drainage and vent pipes and all building drains
  • Natural Gas services and interior piping


  • Any fire suppression system installations, above ground and underground storage tanks, special suppression systems such as kitchen hood suppressions systems (Intergen/Ansul/Piranha type systems, etc.)

Mechanical Permit

  • Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC), process piping, gas piping for human comfort, low pressure steam and hydronic heating & cooling process piping

Electrical - Line Voltage

  • An electrical line voltage permit is required to erect, install, alter, repair, relocate, replace or add to an electrical system between 60 and 600 volts.

Electrical - Low Voltage

  • An electrical low voltage permit is required for all low voltage, limited energy, data, and communications wiring as outlined in in the NEC articles 725 thru 830.
  • Fire alarm system installations

Special Event

  • Any temporary event or gathering, including but not limited to trade shows, fairs, or other types of festivals or recreational events, occurring within a facility or upon grounds generally accessible to the public, and which involve one or more of the following activities: erection of a tent, stage, bandshell, trailer, portable building, grandstand, bleachers or placement of portable toilets.


  • Removal of a building or structure
  • Removal and capping of plumbing, mechanical, septic, and electrical appurtenances
  • Removal of structural components of a building


  • Unique Trade Work (e.g. Fireproofing, Welding)